As promised, below I’m sharing my step by step skin care routine along with my current product lineup to guide those who are just as obsessed with skin care as I am. Why? Because sharing is caring and because skin health is a big part of Self Love Sundays!
Through observation, skin is becoming a growing obsession in self care because in today’s world, we live in a world of selfies and social media. Our skin is exposed more today wherever we are compared to years ago when camera phones didn’t exist.
And although there are filters and amazing makeup products for everything nowadays, we can’t expect to filter the raw flaws of our skin when we’re connecting with others face to face.
In addition, this was also intended for those who just want to take better care of their skin health but may be overwhelmed with all the endless products out there because I can relate.
I use to feel overwhelmed and I had no idea how or where to even begin. I would see ads every time I logged onto social media of skin models claiming why their product was their holy grail. The only way I really learned was by asking questions, doing research and following others in the industry who generously share their beauty secrets.
The goal is to simplify this process for you and motivate you whether you’re male or female, to make skin care a priority and part of your lifestyle.
At the bare minimum, just get obsessed with the order of steps before getting hung up on products. That’s what I did.
Keep in mind, just because one product works for one person, doesn’t mean it works for everyone else.
I experimented through trial and error. You can always customize and rotate products after you at least got the general steps down. But just go with works best for you. Bottom line, just get started.
And just to remind you, don’t forget to include your neck, chest, shoulders & décolleté as well as the top of your hands as the signs of aging can first be noticed in these areas.
Because let’s be honest, who doesn’t want healthy, glowing, flawless skin? As a bonus for the ladies and gents who wear makeup, a flawless canvas is your best friend.
If you get my drift, then read on. If not, then come back when you’re ready to make self-care part of your daily ritual.
1. CLEANSE: Always begin with a facial cleanser. Bar soap does not count. Remove all dirt, oil, makeup. There are different cleansers from foam cleansers, oil cleansers, balm cleansers, micro cellar water cleansers to cleansing wipes. Personally I’m finishing up on my Foreo Day Cleanser following the L’Oreal Garnier Microcellar water and I’m loving that my skin feels clean and soft afterwards. I have dry skin and this never leaves me feeling dry.
2. EXFOLIATE: Gently remove the top layer of dead skin cells by exfoliating. I do this step twice a week. Pick two days that work. For me, I exfoliate on Sundays and Wednesdays. Personally I’m obsessed with Exfolikate. My skin just feels so tingly clean after the active enzymes do their job!
3. TONE: Apply your favorite facial toner to help rebalance the pH of your skin. Our skin is naturally acidic, but after we cleanse our face, we increase its alkalinity. Using a toner will gently bring it back to an acid-alkaline balance. I usually use Thayer’s Witch Hazel, but decided to change it up a bit and try out Kopari’s Coconut Rose Water which so far, so good!
4. APPLY ESSENCE: I’ve been influenced by the Korean Beauty Skin Routine of applying essence on the skin to penetrate active nutrients and ingredients directly into the skin that purify, detoxify, hydrate or moisturize. The easiest way to apply an essence is to use your favorite Sheet Mask! Yaassss. Let the mask sit for a minimum of 15 minutes or let completely dry. Do not wash off the product, allow the mask to dry and let your skin absorb all the essence. However, you can also purchase a stand alone essence in a bottle. My sister gave me the Tony Moly Brightening essence containing 100% Cherry Blossom extract to get that dewy glow during the day.
5. APPLY SERUM: This is my favorite part, probably because it is theee MOST important part. This step is most likely going to be your game changer, and your best friend! I use any serum that contains either Vitamin C, Hyaluronic acid, or Retinol. Serums are usually the most expensive from all the products you will use during your skin care routine because they carry active anti-aging ingredients which are created to smooth fine lines and wrinkles, stimulate collagen and elasticity, tighten and brighten, and obviously reverse aging. Personally I use a pure Hyalauronic acid serum from Cosmedica, an Amazon Best Seller.
6. MOISTURIZE: Apply your favorite moisturizer to rehydrate your skin. Some people who have oily skin think that skipping this step will reduce the oil buildup but in fact, skipping this step will actually cause your skin to overproduce oil because your skin tries to overcompensate any lack of hydration. So whether you have dry or oily skin, you need to lock in moisture. In addition, this step does not substitute drinking your typical gallon of water a day. Stay hydrated because it plays a big role in the hydration of your skin too. Drink up, it shows!
7. APPLY SPF: This is probably the next most important step of them all. I can’t stress this enough! It’s all about prevention. Applying SPF is going to be your #1 anti-aging moisturizer protecting you from the harmful rays of the sun. Be in control–Prevent skin cancer, prevent wrinkles, and slow down the aging process, seriously.
8. APPLY FACIAL OIL: This would be the last layer of product you would apply on your skin because it creates a barrier to protect any other bacteria or dirt from entering your pores. In addition, I love this step to achieve that DEWY GLOW especially before you start applying your makeup such as primer and foundation. Some popular oils are products with coconut oil or jojoba oil. But you can use any cold-pressed oil such as cold-pressed olive, sesame, or avocado oil.
9. MASSAGE: Try to avoid massaging your face without first applying a layer of oil. Massaging a dry face may cause the skin to break and tear. I’ve grown to be over obsessed with this step because Massage helps with Lymphatic Drainage by reducing the fluid build up that causes us to look swollen, improves blood circulation, reduces appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and the best part– it’s helps with Facial Manipulation. YES, you can manipulate your face by pushing up sagging facial muscles that are caused by gravity and habitual frowning, specifically the depressor muscle located around the lips just beneath our cheekbones. You can massage your face in several ways such as doing it yourself following the proper techniques using your hands or using tools such as a facial Jade Or Rose quartz roller and/or Gua Sha Tool, or you can get a facial massage specifically with lymphatic drainage through a professional esthetician/massage therapist 🙂
10. SEAL SOFT LIPS: This is the last step but also a crucial step. Because seriously, who wants soft glowing, healthy skin with dry cracked-ass lips?! Lol. No thank you. I like to use a lip scrub that both exfoliates and moisturizes. I use Eco Lips brand in Vanilla Bean. You can even lick off the excess. Oh Yumminess.
And there you have it! May you begin the new year making skin health a part of your self care rituals and may you all GLOW in 2019.
In my next post, I can’t wait to share my 5 top recommended “Self Love” Gifts to add as perfect stocking stuffers this holiday for those you care about!